Sales Promotion Specialist
Jun 14, 2018, 08:23 AM
Under the direction of the publisher, the sales-promotion specialist plays a significant role in the expansion of demand for the offerings of the ATC publications and sales program, including the development and marketing of merchandise products, with the ultimate purpose of leading the team toward the publications program’s annual revenue and expense targets. The objective of the program is to provide informative and valued products to the Appalachian Trail community while returning a modest profit for the advancement of ATC Trail programs and administration.
- The specialist has the primary responsibility for maintaining the content (text and images) of the Ultimate Appalachian Trail Store Web site
- The specialist is expected to become thoroughly knowledgeable of ATC’s inventory and undertake all restock ordering and appropriate handling of transfer orders, in consultation with the sales manager.
- The specialist is expected to become knowledgeable of sales patterns among our different sales venues and A.T.users’ preferred accessories and gear.
- This position is expected to concentrate, beyond electronic promotion, on developing ATC’s merchandise offerings, specifically to Appalachian Trail (A.T.) users observing trends among its current and prospective customers.In this respect, the promotions assistant works closely with the publisher and sales manager to analyze customers’ interests, respond with new or revised merchandise items, and engage with customers in various ways, including by assisting with answering distribution-center telephones.
- Some travel ( to selected trade shows and significant retail outlets) is required, along with collaboration with other departments, notably at the marketing and communications meetings and by time at the ATC visitors center during peak seasons, as it is the best off-Trail locale to engage that particular type of customer.
- Bachelor’s degree in the liberal arts or equivalent, relevant experience, that is, three to five years of responsible, professional experience in one or more of the following fields: nonprofit public-interest membership organizations, publishing, merchandising, or retail/wholesale sales.
- Excellent editing and writing skills in a traditional style, computer literacy, knowledge of the outdoor retail marketplace, and the ability to integrate diverse information into organizational strategies.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, Trail users, and customer types.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Ability to recognize and resolve problems quickly and pleasantly, using sound judgment and diplomacy.
- Experience working with Web sites, standard office software, and accounting systems and Photoshop skills required.
- An active hiker, an accomplished photographer, an adept explorer of social media beyond the mainstream leaders, and/or a meticulous researcher experienced in retail or wholesale business.
- Ability to communicate with individuals by telephone, e-mail and in person.
- Working on computer and/or telephone for prolonged periods.
- Sitting or standing for prolonged periods.
- Travel required two to four times a year for periods of up to five days.
- Relatively quiet, spacious, and collegial.
To apply please email a cover letter, and resume [email protected]
All resumes should be titled as “Last Name_First Name.” Please include the position title in the email subject line.
No telephone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
ATC Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
ATC encourages collaboration, flexibility, and fairness with all employees and volunteers
to enable participation and contributions to their fullest potential. We are committed to
being a diverse and inclusive organization, and recognize that diversity contributes to an
effective and successful organizational culture and mission. The ATC prohibits discrimination
in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity
and/or expression), national origin, political affiliation, marital status, disability, genetic
information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military
service, political affiliation, union membership, or any other status protected by the laws and
regulations in the locations where we operate.
Position Type :
Careers - Full Time